Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Group Dance Practice

Last Friday Alexandra and I went to our dance studio for a group beginner class where we learned the basic steps to salsa, cha-cha, swing, waltz, rumba, and foxtrot (rumba and foxtrot we are already pretty skilled in)  There was a couple other couples there also.  One of them is from NWS like me, and turned out he was actually going to be working on the same crew as me starting on sunday.  Its a small world.  
So out instructor, Jeff, showed us each dance then we practiced it with our partner and switched partners 4 times.  I was a little bit nervous about this at first because I was convinced that I was incapable of dancing well with anyone but Alexandra, but I did ok.  My downfall was talking, I would get the hang of it and then I would start talking and completely lose my footing.  It was fun though.
Immediatly following that, we had a practice session.  It was a pretty fun and relaxing environment.  The instrutors put some music on, told us which song it was and then we danced.  Halfway through each song they said "switch partners"  sometimes we switched, sometimes we sat down, and anytime it was the foxtrot or the rumba we continued dancing because we wanted practice together.  I didn't get to sit very much because everytime I tried someone wanted to dance, especially our instructor.  So mAlexandra and I had very little break time where we could sit together, if we weren't dancing together atleast 1 of us was dancing with someone.  It was a fun evening and we will go again sometime.  
This Wednesday we have our 3rd of 5 private dance lesson, I'm excited about that, I'm hoping we get some practice time before hand just to review a little. Then after the lesson we have a beginners class to practice some more dancing.
The funny thing is that when we first signed up we had the intent of doing 1 45 minute introductory lesson and now we have basically done more than 4 hours of lessons and group dancing and we aren't done yet.

1 comment:

  1. it is going by too quickly! i'll miss our dance lessons when they are over

    ReplyDelete