Thursday, July 23, 2009

OC Fight Through

Today was OC fight through day at SRF school. OC stands for oleoresin capsicum, commonly known as pepper spray. This is much stonger than the common self defense kind you can buy for under $20. The purpose of this training is to show us how the OC feels, that it does work, and that it doesn't work if the person is focused and determined.

To start out we get sprayed across the eyebrows from ~4 feet away. I got a direct spray into my left eye and it was pretty much no use for about 20 min. My right eye made it through the whole course. The course consisted of 5 various stations that we had to fight through successfully using proper fighting techniques we were trained on, then after successful completion we went to the eye wash station, which caused me the greatest pain I have ever felt, and caused me to not be able to breathe easily (atleast I felt like I couldn't, I had to yell to force air in and out) After the washing station my eyes and my whole face felt like they were on fire and getting attacked with razo blades. I have a video of this whole experience but I am not allowed to post it online, so if you want to see it, let me know.

The best part is that this is all voluntary and right before it happens they ask us medical questions, if we have contacts in, and if we are aware that we are about to be contaminated with oleoresin capsicum and if we understand that this is entirely voluntary, I said yes, and he said shut your eyes...and so the fun began, I got through in ~4 min many others took a lot longer, I was also pretty well recovered in about 30 min and felt completely recovered in 1 hour. My buddy took a lot longer and I actually drove him back to barracks because he was still unable to see well enough to drive.

I also took a shower tonight, which actually reactivated the spray in my eyes and face, ouch.


On another note, I am now 21! I bought a 6 pack today and drank a couple beers. I had to drink them before 7 because no alcohol within 12 hours of class due to the hazardous nature of this class.


I LOVE YOU ALEXANDRA!
I MISS YOU SO MUCH!!

3 comments:

  1. what no comment on how fun it was and that pain is good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds like a reality tv show! Glad I didn't participate!!

    ReplyDelete